The sweet liquid syrup that honeybees make from the plant nectar is loved worldwide for its color, smell, and deep flavor. Honey offers potential health benefits especially, raw honey that comes directly from the beehive. It contains healthy pollens, propolis, and enough antioxidants.
What is the raw variety of honey?
As the name suggests, this is the purest form of honey that has not undergone the process of heating, filtration, blending, or processing. It contains everything in the rawest and purest form as they were in the hive that are:
- Amino acids
- Original aroma
All these make pure honey highly beneficial as a remedy for people with allergies. The raw variety of honey is primarily made from the nectar of a particular flower. Beekeepers study botanical bloom and different patterns of flowering while planning a hive placement so that they can capture the unique flavor of the particular flower. There are no pesticides used in the organic form of pure honey.
Benefits of pure honey
The raw form of honey is often used by people suffering from pollen allergies to reduce the sensitivity to pollens. Propolis found in the raw form of honey has several health benefits.
- It is used as a traditional homeopathic medicine for treating wounds, itching, and even cancer.
- It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties.
- It is effective in treating minor burns, infections, wounds, dental pain, genital herpes, and inflammatory diseases.
How is the raw form of honey extracted?
- When the comb is removed from the beehive, the wax capping that covers the honey is scraped off and removed.
- The frames are then loaded into an extractor which spins the frames.
- The centrifugal force removes honey from the frame.
- The honey is then strained for removing pieces of wax, propolis, and parts of dead bees.
- The extracted honey is heated at the optimal temperature as it was in the beehive which ranges between 95 degrees to 118 degrees Fahrenheit.
Properties of raw form of honey
The best way to check the purity and rawness of honey is that it crystallizes. The granulation is due to the composition of nectar present in the honey that could be returned to the liquid form by placing the jar in warm water.
This organic honey is opaque and thick, does not run off the spoon, and dissolves easily in warm water or tea.
Commercial honey is pasteurized which destroys the enzymes and the delicate flavors. It is heated at 158 degrees to kill any yeast that would cause fermentation and stops crystallization so that it can be poured at room temperature.
Where to buy pure honey
For getting the purest raw form of honey, contact The Mohawk Valley Trading Company which offers the best quality unprocessed natural products. You will get pure authentic honey that has not been filtered, heated, blended, or processed. They specialize in a raw variety of honey that is 100% pure with no additives or diluting agents.
Their warehouse is in Utica and they do not have walk-in outlets. They just sell online and the honey is non-returnable. To order, email or call them at the number provided on their website.